Tuesday, November 20, 2012

REACTION TO THE ELECTION RESULTS

Thank God the election is over!! I could not have looked at one more political ad or hung-up on one more political telephone call.  Now if we can just get past the end of the world in December, it should be smooth sailing with no political nonsense until the mid-term elections in 2014.

I'm a fiscal conservative so I'm disappointed in the election results. My impression is that the message sent by voters was "stay the course", which I believe will lead to long-term problems for our country. We can't continue to have trillion dollar deficits. Also, I don't believe we can solve our fiscal by increasing tax revenues alone, we need some serious cuts in Federal entitlement programs, like Medicare. But, we lack the political will to seriously address these programs.

As previously noted, I'm also disappointed by the lack of understanding of the issues by the electorate.  I read the position papers of each candidate on their websites.  I wonder if others did likewise?  I realize I have a greater proclivity to read than others and more time to do so.  But, I wonder how many of the 90+% of the African-Americans and the 70+% of the Hispanics who voted for President Obama really understood the policies for which they were voting or did they simply vote based on their superficial impressions of the candidates?

The Republicans maintained control of the House of Representatives so I'm not overly worried about runaway spending.  Hopefully, they will compromise with Democrats on spending and revenue issues but not "give away the house".  The downside is that I anticipate that little progress will be made in reducing our debt.

To summarize, the election results were as I for told last December--see my December 26 post. I'm sorry to say that my 2013 prediction is that in four years our economy will be in worse shape than we are today. I fear for the economic health of my children and grandchildren.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment