Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I CAN' T WAIT

I can't wait until the election is over.  I got dragged into two political conversations last week and both made me even more concerned about the direction in which our country is proceeding.

Both conversations were very vitriolic.  Each person expressed hate for positions that didn't agree with their opinions.  I don't see how a consensus can ever be achieved when people refuse to listen to any opinion that doesn't agree with their own.

I know that their have been very contentious elections in the past, even with armed assaults. I may be too optomistic but my impression was that we have progressed as a country to tolerate a wide variety of viewpoints.  I was mistaken.

I heard an interview of Alan Greenspan on CNBC yesterday.  He stated that compromise is necessary for a democracy to be successful.  He further commented that Congress has forgotten how to compromise. I agree.  Regardless of who wins the election, compromise has to be an essential part of the post-election process.  I just hope our elected officials can re-learn this very valuable art.

While I am very opposed to illegal drug use, perhaps we need to issue tranquilizers to every member of Congress.  Or, perhaps we need to advocate the use of medical marijuana for members of Congress so they can learn to "chill out". Then, through their example, other people will do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment